Emerge and Surface

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

week 13 Damon Casarez



This is the first photo of a project that I have been wanting to start for a couple terms now and have finally made one image for it. This project is based on social networking websites, but myspace specifically. I'm interested in how people choose to represent themselves for the world wide web and what these representations say about my generation. This photo was created after a 15 year old girl's myspace photo I found when I was browsing around one day. This is a pretty accurate representation of her profile picture. I took a screen grab for the picture view layout and added the picture I had my friend take on her laptop mimicking the 15 year old girls photo.

Over the past year or so I have been collecting photos/screen shots of random public myspace/facebook profiles. I have noticed several trends in how people photograph themselves solely for their profile picture and also have seen different "characters" that I have found over and over again. Some of the characters I've often seen are black dudes holding wads of cash, so-cal bro's doing beer bongs/smoking weed, emo boys in the bathroom with eyeliner, lonely teenage suburban girl, the young girl who posts very sexual pictures of her self , "gang bangers," and a couple of grandma's trying to keep up with their grandkids by being on myspace. I'm fascinated by what photos these people choose to put up and what the photograph says about them and the digital generation in general. I'm always thinking about this project and what way to approach it and still haven't settled on a specific direction. I'm glad I did one photo though, just to test it out and see what people think about it.

1 comment:

  1. this is a great series. i really see your work projected onto walls, where the viewer walks into the room and experiences it life size or larger.

    ReplyDelete