Emerge and Surface

Friday, September 17, 2010

Week #1 Damon Casarez



This is the latest photograph in a series I have been working on for about a year called Observations. For the past year or so I have been keeping track of all of the strange, ridiculous, and dreary scenes I have seen while in public and later photographing them and tweaking what actually happened or shooting it exactly as I saw it. The photographs aim to have a documentary feel to them, as if I happened to have a camera and shoot these people and situations without the subject knowing. The series is meant to have an underlining message in each photograph or simply they act as documents of the phenomena of the situation.
This shot was a made up situation that I had imagined and photographed a couple weeks later after choosing props, wardrobe, location, casting a child actor and finalizing the shoot day and time. This photograph to me is just one example of how technology has infiltrated our daily lives and how our society is so obsessed with mobile devices. I imagined a child left alone in a shopping cart at a grocery store while the mother went to other aisles to grab more items while the video game acts as a baby sitter for the parent and child in this photo. This is the 3rd photograph in the series that has to do with mobile devices and how, when and where we use them in public and what their use has to say about our current society.

2 comments:

  1. Good concept Damon. I would go further and put the child in other environments to push the idea of "alone". For instance, the back seat of a car, the booth of an IHOP or diner with an empty plate of food. Make it a world of untethered-ness. We are only anchored by a thin thread to what is real. More and more you see people interact via smartphones, making contact through a handheld. What is that like? Are we alone or are we "with someone" when we text?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your feedback. After hearing your feedback and that of other peers and teachers I definitely have to push the photographs further to get the message across stronger.I will definitely keep your questions in mind and for my next shoot. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete