Emerge and Surface

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Week # 1 Valeria Podoynitsyna



Filthy Dirty Series
By: Valeria Podoynitsyna



   





This series started as a look into Los Angeles and it's night culture; The people that come out to play when most of us go home for dinner. What interested me most about this idea was the fact that Los Angeles was so intricately lit at night - it was a theater and the people that came out at night were the characters in its play. It was incredible to realize, for someone who has lived here all her life, the effect night time had on the citizens of this town. During the day, it seems these people do not have the same freedoms to express themselves. However, at night, there seems to be a different rule and so, we see the affect of the sunset. Here, we are looking at the subculture of Drag Queens in Los Angeles - their stomping ground. I followed Sissy Debut and some of her friends around town and captured what their lives consist of. Considering the fact that I was anticipating this world to be so extremely different from my own, I was pleasantly surprised. They like to joke about sex, they love to sing and dance, they drink, perform, and take care of their friends, amongst many other qualities. It was a wonderful experience to take a glimpse into their lives and I hope to continue to photograph Los Angeles and its many diverse subcultures.

Please visit my website, www.ValeriaP.com for a more in-depth look at the series and other works.

Also, Check out my flickr page for images that are not on my website :         www.flickr.com/photos/valeriasphotography

Best,
Valeria Podoynitsyna

2 comments:

  1. Photographing subcultures can be done by two different ways, one is to immerse yourself into it, and the other is to walk around it and experience it from a distance. If we try to understand the culture, we can then experience it not from a "Zoo" effect, but from common ground. You have found that they laugh, sing, like most people. Yes, they are like us.

    What I would like to see is for your next adventure out, is to find a "co-pilot" to help you navigate and to get in deeper.

    Also check out one of my favorite drag performers Varla Jean Merman http://www.varlaonline.com/ She's local, if you ever want to catch her show let me know. :O)

    Great compositions and color. What camera are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ophelia,
    Thank you for your advice! I am using the Canon 5D Mark II and using minimal post production. Most of the color is actually occuring at night - that is why I have been so obsessed with shooting at night recently - it is very vivid!
    I'd love to dive deeper into this subculture - please let me know about Varla Jean Merman's performances! I'd love to attend and get to know her :)
    Valeria

    ReplyDelete