Emerge and Surface

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Week #1 Robert S. Evans III





This series of images is a start of an resent obsession with mannequins and food. I have always love food whether it has been enjoying the different aromas and flavors that dazzle my taste buds from my favorite dishes, or ones I have yet to discover.

However this recent urge to use mannequin hands in my work was stumbled upon one day rummaging threw the prop room at Art Center trying to bring some edge to a food still life I was working on. I asked myself mannequin hands and food. But these 4 images are my first attempt at this meshing of this elements and so far I'm liking the results.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful and inspiring work. Your concept is unique and I hope you persue it further. Next week will have Vanessa Stump (food photographer) in to show her work on Master Chef (Gordon Ramsey's new show).

    There's an interesting feel to the images you have up. Using mannequins inplace of models, I love the concept. Its surreal and removes the viewer even further from the food itself, or maybe in the opposite direction push them in because the "hands" become just a vehicle for the food as a display mechanism.

    Looking forward to more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, Robert S. Evans III -- are you SURE you want to shoot people and not product/food?!?! This imagery rocks the house!!!! The fact that you can do this in your sleep speaks volumes. I know what they say re: the danger of taking the path of least resistance, but this comes so naturally to you, why not? It's like telling ME to shoot product/food -- I'd rather shoot myself (and that's with a gun, not a camera)! : )

    ReplyDelete